In early April, we had a little celebration in our office in Constitución in Southern Mexico: The newly established Plant-for-the-Planet Mexico Advisory Board met there for the first time on April 4th, 2022. This board consists of nine experts who will advise our team on how to further improve the restoration and forest protection activities in the future. Among them, for example, is the Minister of the Environment of the Federal State of Campeche, where Plant-for-the-Planet founded its own restoration project in 2015 and which has meanwhile expanded to include seven areas of forests of varying degrees of degradation. Another site is being added this year.
Another member of the Advisory Board is the Director of the INIFAP research institute in Quintana Roo. Plant-for-the-Planet already agreed to work closely with this institution last year. The same applies to the Balam-ku nature reserve, whose Director is also represented in the Advisory Board.
Here is the full list of Plant-for-the-Planet Mexico’s new Advisory Board:
- Dr. Sandra Laffon Leal, Ministry of the Environment, Campeche
- Dr. Ruben Dario Gongora, Director, INIFAP Quintana Roo
- Dr. Carlos Tucuch, Director, CONAFOR Campeche
- Carlos Tiburcio Martínez Martínez, Director, Instituto Tecnológico de la Zona Maya
- Dr. Ana Silva, Director of Sustainable Forestry Development, Ministry of the Environment, Campeche
- Arturo Balam Koyoc, Director, Balam-Kú and Balam-Kin Ecosystem Reserves
- Jocelyn Duran, Director of Biodiversity Conservation and Management, Ministry of the Environment, Campeche
- Miguel Arcos, Major of Constitución
- Andres Cruz Zamudio, Rector, Universidad Tecnológica de Calakmul
This Advisory Board works independently of our Restoration Supervision Expert Board, which currently consists of four renowned external restoration experts who supervise both the planning and implementation of our restoration efforts in Mexico.
Fire in Ghana under controlFor a very long time, we have been able to keep fires away. Warning systems and preventive protective measures are constantly helping us to…
Delegation from Plant-for-the-Planet at the COP15 in Montréal, CanadaThe 15th Conference of Parties for biodiversity meeting takes place in Canada’s lovely French city of Montréal from December 7 through December 19. About…
New member for our Educational Advisory Board: Waldo Soto BrunaWe are very happy to welcome a new member to our Educational Advisory Board: Waldo Soto Bruna. Among other things, Waldo is the Co-Founder…
This is our Global Board 2022/2023The Global Board is one essential part of Plant-for-the-Planet’s democratic structure and it’s elected once a year. We are very happy to welcome 12…
Bulindi Chimpanzee and Community Project: Restoring Ecosystems in Uganda and Harmony Between Wild Chimpanzees and Local CommunitiesLoss of forest cover and biodiversity can often bring conflict between humans and wildlife if left unaddressed. This is the case in Western Uganda…
Plant-for-the-Planet Platform: Who decides who gets to join?Many of the updates and changes we make are immediately visible on the platform, and you can spot them on our website or the…