On Saturday, 10 June 2023, Plant-for-the-Planet partnered up on a side event at the UNFCCC in Bonn titled ‘Youth4Adaptation: An intergenerational approach to creating a climate resilient world’. The event was organized together with partners from the Global Center on Adaptation, The Negotiation Hub, the Dutch Youth Climate Movement, the Peace Boat Disaster Relief, and the youth representatives of the Netherlands.
The event was kicked off by an intervention from the YOUNGO Adaptation working group representative Jamie Cummings. She provided a background on the state of negotiations on adaptation and the role within this in the UNFCCC space. This was followed by a video message by the Future Generations Commissioner of Wales, Derek Walker on the importance of intergenerational equity and future generations’ consideration in international policy-making.
Fatou Jeng, one of our long-time climate justice ambassadors and UN Secretary General Youth Advisory Group on Climate Change members, joined the panel and spoke on the role of youth people in adaptation policy making and implementation. She pointed out that young people are not just to be considered as a vulnerable group but also as powerful agents of change. Fatou emphasized the importance of including future generations and long-term thinking into climate action.
The other speakers included
- Natalia Gómez Solano (25) who is the co-founder and president of the Costa Rican Youth and Climate Change Network Association (RJCCCR). She is an environmental engineer and young professional passionate about climate adaptation. She is a member of the CEO’s Youth Advisory Panel of the Global Center on Adaptation, and is also Special Advisor to Youth of the Commissioner of International Partnerships.
- Youri de Koomen, representative of the Dutch Youth Climate movement who spoke on the intergenerational test, the movement has been advocating on a domestic level in various ministries levels in the Netherlands.
- Marco Yanez Marin, former youth delegate for the delegation of Chile following negotiations on Loss and Damage, and coordinated the pavilion for COP27.
Closing remarks were provided by
- Shaemma Mebwana (26) is a Climate Change Analyst working at the Ministry of Climate Change and Environment of the United Arab Emirates. She holds a Bachelor Degree in Environmental Science and Sustainability from Zayed University in Abu Dhabi.
The event was moderated by
- Adriana Valenzuela, Thematic Lead Youth Leadership & Education, Global Center on Adaptation (GCA)
- Manav Khanna (28) member of the GCA CEO’s Youth Advisory Panel
Here are more impressions from the event. Copyright: Global Center on Adaptation
Two succesfull Academies in Nigeria in June to welcome new Climate Justice AmbassadorsOluwaseyi Olawuyi coordianated two academies in Nigeria with the help from the Climate Justice Ambassador Darasimi Damilare The two academies took place at the…
Planting Hope for a Greener Future in Nigeria: Empowering Young Climate Justice AmbassadorsChris Anulunkor, a long-time Climate Justice Ambassador for Plant-for-the-Planet and chief moderator of the workshop, reports from the academy held at the Federal Ministry…
Planting trees in existing forests? Why Enrichment Planting makes sense and promotes biodiversity!Planting trees in a forest? Restoring forests where they already exist and are protected? Admittedly, that sounds contradictory at first. However, there are many…
Hidden for 1000 years – rediscovery of an ancient Mayan city in the jungle of Campeche protected by Plant-for-the-PlanetIn a remarkable archaeological discovery, a team of researchers recently unveiled the remains of a hidden ancient Maya city deep within the dense jungles…
Podcast episode of the European Energy Efficiency Fund with our Climate Justice Ambassador JohannThe global climate crisis is a defining issue of our time and especially the younger generations will have to face the consequences. But it’s…
UN Climate Conference in Bonn: Plant-for-the-Planet on side-event on youth engagementOn Saturday, 10 June 2023, Plant-for-the-Planet partnered up on a side event at the UNFCCC in Bonn titled ‘Youth4Adaptation: An intergenerational approach to creating…