We hope you already know that the most important climate meeting evah will take place in Copenhagen, Denmark, from Dec. 7 to 18. If all goes according to plan at the gathering – known in wonk-speak as COP15 – world leaders will hash out a new global climate treaty to replace the Kyoto Protocol.
Now, some things you don’t know about Copenhagen and the climate talks:[…]
2. The climate talks could spur a mini-boom in prostitution in the city.
3. MTV is sponsoring climate concerts in the lead-up to Copenhagen.
4. Oct. 24 is an International Day of Climate Action intended to prod leaders to get serious ahead of the Copenhagen talks.
5. 12,000 to 15,000 people are expected to attend the conference, and thousands more journalists, NGO reps, activists, and rabble-rousers will also come to town.
6. The Yes Men have launched a site where people can pledge to engage in civil disobedience the week before the Copenhagen talks to demand serious climate action.
7. Hey, ladies: It's now legal to go topless at Copenhagen's public pools.
8. Oxfam has celebrities painting their faces blue for its "Blue in the Face" campaign: demand action on climate change from leaders at Copenhagen until you're blue in the face!
9. The average December in Copenhagen has 17 days of rain and a temperature of 28 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
10. U.S. President Barack Obama has done some serious thinking about Copenhagen. Grist's David Roberts explains.
If you would like to read on, click here.
This article is over a year old and may not reflect latest facts and figures. If you have any questions, please contact media[at]plant-for-the-planet.org