To finalise the last details of the Billion Tree Campaign handover with the UNEP, Caro and Frithjof from the Secretariat travelled on behalf of the Global Board to Nairobi. They report the following results to the Global Board from Kenya.
1. In the last five years, citizens, companies and governments have together planted 455 million trees in Kenya. By the end of 2012 they want this number to more double and pledge to plant a billion trees.
Migaa pledges to plant 200,000 trees nearby Nairobi
2. Many companies in Kenya have promised to finance Academies and spread the tree planting message to the next generations of Wangari Maathai’s country.
Forestry James, who is responsible for the 200,000 trees with Caro, Robert von Migaa and Leah with her son Dexter – the next generation.
3. Our first employee in Kenya, Leah Wanambwah, starts on 1st April. Leah worked for Wangari Maathai’s Green Belt Movement for a year and a half and has supervised the Billion Tree Campaign for the UNEP for the past two years.
Frithjof, Wanjira the daughter of Wangari Maathai and Leah
4. One of the outcomes of our first Academy in Nairobi in July 2011 is that Leah is now able to build a team of young moderators, which Peter and Charles will oversee with their network Child Peace in Kenya. Children from the rich areas of Nairobi as well as from the slums will be able to participate in the Academies.
Girl in Korogocho
In the container for homework the children are happy about the new books.
Our Academy-Team in Nairobi
5. Children of the Korogocho slum dream to fill the biggest landfill in East Africa, which borders the Korogocho neighbourhood and poisons the 100,000 people who live there with burning waste, with trees. That would be a wonderful project.
Let´s plant trees on the biggest garbage dump of East Africa
6. Global Board’s invitation for an advisory body for the Billion Tree Campaign our Plant-for-the-Planet Foundation has been sent to the UNEP, ICRAF, FAO Forestry, Prince Albert II Foundation and Green Belt Movement and the first written approvals have already reached us.
The United Nations
The carbon storage turbo on four legs: Codeword AACA study published in Nature has found amazing things about the role of wildlife on the carbon cycle. The authors call for a changing of the…
Our platform projects interviewed: “Donate a Tree to the World”: Restoring Degraded Forests, Wildlife and Underground Water Reserves Across Communities in MexicoClimate impact including prolonged drought and human activities such as pasturing and deforestation is affecting communities in Mexico and Colombia that sometimes depend on…
“Changing the direction of the rhino”: using scientific standards to strengthen restoration and fight the climate crisis“Top restoration projects” now visible on the Plant-for-the-Planet platform “One mosquito can do nothing against a rhino,” our founder Felix Finkbeiner once said during…
Our Platform Projects Interviewed: Home for Trees – Restoring Drought-induced Forest Loss in Czech RepublicNot often do you associate drought with Europe but climate crisis impacts are sparing no one though some regions are more impacted. This is…
Fires on Las Américas 7 and 6: an overview of eventsIn late March and early April 2023, several fires occurred in different parts of our restoration sites in Yucatan, Mexico (the Las Américas 7a,…
Our water, our lifeOn the occasion of this year’s World Water Day, Simon, our long-time ambassador for climate justice, was invited to the exhibition and talk session…