We are the team of the Estación de Investigación (Research Station) in Plant-for-the-Planet Mexico and this is our online blog! Here you will get to know a little more about us and the main projects we are working on:
1. The experiments
- The Shade house: An experiment with 1,980 saplings from 11 native species such as Zapote, Ramón, Siricote, Wuaxim, Cedro and Caoba. These plants are further divided into soil/inoculum and watering/drought treatments.
- A5: A field experiment with14 native species and microbiome treatments. Trees were planted in an open degraded previously grazing area.
Both of these experiments’ findings will help us do better restoration efforts! Ricardo coordinates both experiments; Doris and Montserrat capture and transcribe thousands of data entries; while Rodolfo, Carlos Mario, Agustín, Uriel, Rubicel, Abimael, Pablo, David, César take care of the trees on site.
2. The seed collection:
- Fruit collection and seed processing from around 10 local pioneer species. These seeds will be grown and used in our 2021 restoration projects. Marcos and Evaristo constantly go to the basecamp’s surroundings to look for blooming and bearing fruit trees.
3. The GIS and site verification department:
- Georeferencing, spatial image interpretation, drone flying, and map designing are some of the activities that Marco and Dinosca do frequently in this department. They also get in touch with our local neighbors to prevent any kind of land use conflicts.
4. The restoration projects:
Samantha is establishing and examining restoration projects standards directly with people at Tutzing while locally helping with the shadehouse experiments, fieldwork and GIS department.
Finally, Leland and Anna supervise, set the beat, and give thoughtful observations and recommendations to these activities and projects.
Stay tuned for more updates and insights about the work of Plant-for-the-Planet Mexico.
Carefully selected: As an official partner, Plant-for-the-Planet plants 310,964 trees in the INIFAP San Felipe de Bacalar nature reserve.2021 was special and different for Plant-for-the-Planet in many ways. This applies in an outstanding way to the restoration of degraded forests on the…
Your Donation is helping support Social Forestry in IndonesiaThe non-profit organization Trees4Trees, founded in 2008, has set itself the goal to push forward reforestation in Indonesia and simultaneously help local communities. One…
Get to know the Global Board 2021/2022: Join Online Introduction on December 12thWe can’t wait for the new Board members to lead an important exchange, engage with other young and inspiring people and also share their…
Olympic Spirit in Yucatán – Plant-for-the-Planet celebrates end of planting season.In one week, the planting season in Yucatán officially ends. Before everyone leaves for a well-deserved family vacation, the team has once again shown…
Plant-for-the-Planet signs agreement with government of Campeche. Long term collaboration to protect and restore the Balam-ku and Balam-kin reserves.This was an important step for Plant-for-the-Planet in selecting sites for future restoration and growing from an organisation that does exclusively restoration to a…
Plant-for-the-Planet hits Glasgow for COP26Every year they take place at a different location, but each year we arrive with the same goal: CLIMATE JUSTICE. We do this by…